Thursday 5 August 2010

so, young or old mum...... well, i no longer think of myself as a 'young mum' i was 25 when i had Eryn, and i feel, at 25, i was neither young or old..... now, at 26 im feeling (and looking :( )older. But, when i had Ethan, i was definately a 'young mum', but i really wouldn't change it for the world..... in my honest opinion, i dont think i'd have the energy at say, 35, to have a baby, not compared to at 20 like with Ethan. My mum was 23 when she had me, and had my brother at 35- and i can see a massive difference in what the patience and energy she had when i was young, compared to what she has now with him (he's 14 now) I have a mental cut off point to have another baby, which is 30.... again, purely just for me (and what other people do is entirely up to them!!) because i dont want to hit 50 and have a teenager (in my 'life plan' in retiring at 55!) and not only that i think, well, i dont want a MASSIVE age gap between my last and my first. If i'm 30 when i have my next and final baby, Ethan will be 10. I hated the massive gap between me and my half sisters/brothers, and i ended up being the resisdent babysitter for both my brother and my eldest nephew! (who is 5yrs younger than me) and i dont want that for Ethan...... so, i have 3 and 3/4yrs to have another one, before i'm officailly too old in my mind!! lol......
As for the misconceptions, as i mentioned the other day i hate it, but the misconception that upsets me the most is that im stupid!!!! Admittedly, i've always had a theory that i do sometimes implement, let people think you're a fool and they won't expect anything from you, but i hate being patronised, talked down to or belittled just because i am a single mum/ or when i 'only' worked part time/ or because i had a child before the age when you're no longer a 'young mum'. When i was at the jobcentre a few months ago someone was trying to explain the basics of this and that to me, but in a really patronising and belittling way (like 'you're a single mum and not fit for s%#t) and i just kept saying 'i know, i know' and in the end i asked him a complicated question about benefits, just to put him on the spot, and he couldn't answer it. I then told him the answer and he looked astonished.... I then explained that i'd done his job for 6 years and perhaps he shouldn't assume and tar everyone with the same brush in future.... Another time, when i worked at a funeral directors, the marketing manager and i were having a conversation about the best way to advertise certain products. Me being me rabbitted on for ages about the pros and cons blah-de-blah-de-blah. Once I'd finished he had the cheek to say to me 'Blimey Noele, you're actually quite bright'...... hmmmmm yeah thanks for that! lol

Anyway, our week.... Well, friday night was camping! we all had a fantastic time, and Eryn ended up 'swimming' in the pool fully clothed! not bad for a child that screamed when i took her near the pool last time :) saturday i took Ethan, Eryn and Harry to Krazy Kaves which as fab- again, Eryn joined in and thoroughly enjoyed herself.... it's really nice now because she can actually enjoy the things we're doing, rather than just looking like a tag along! lol. Sunday we went out for lunch, Chiquito's in port solent- kids meals were a right bargain- £4.95 for meal, drink and a pudding!! cant go wrong :D. Monday we met up with my old friend from school and her two boys- it's lovely 'cause her eldest is 6months older than Et, and her youngest is 3 months younger than Eryn, so they all play together really nicely :)
Tuesday Et was swimming again with my dad, he did really well again- im soooo proud- he starts his proper lessons in sept so he'll be swimming lie a fish soon enough :) On wednesday we went to the free fun day at Leigh Park Gardens, but to be honest, i didnt think much of it- and the weather ws terrible so that didnt help! But i met another old friend, whom i met at a baby group when i had Ethan, so that was lovely to catch up- we haven't seen her this year! I really am useless at keeping in contact with people!!! :( ..... incidently, when i went to that baby group, i was the youngest there by 9 yrs!! and one of the other first time mums was 20yrs older than me.... lol
And today i spent the morning trying to find a dress to wear to 3 weddings- they're all with different sets of people so no one will see me in the same outfit twice ;) it was a nightmare, but i got there in the end..... and i gave blood! i havent dont it for over 3yrs, but was always a reguar donor before, and i feel much better for doing it again.... it's something i feel quite passionate about actually! it's the one thing that almost everyone can do to help someone else, andi feel if you can do it, you should... even if it's just once..... 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 peoples lives.... and if you needed it you'd expect it to be there.... an hour of your time, that's all it takes..... motivational speech over ;)
oh, and we went to see the dinosaur on the seafront..... hmmmm, yeah, it's a model of a dinosaur..... personally i much prefer 'Emily' the iguanadon at the butterfly house...... oh my, i've writtten loads!!! hope you're all having a fab week, love to everyone xx

2 comments:

  1. Is that the dinosaurs actual name or just what the kids call it? Lol. I have a mental cut off for having kids too but its not as set as yours, somewhere between 30-35 but Id be very surprised if I was brave enough to have another after Lucie(fer)!! I dont suppose that was Frank you saw at the jobcentre, I have to switch off when he's talking to me, dont he go on!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the one at the butterfly house is offically called Emily :) lol..... awww im sure she's not THAT bad ;) lol.... no idea who he was, just a prized p***k in my opinion.... xx

    ReplyDelete