Saturday 28 August 2010

Hoping for a Nice Bank Holiday Weekend...

I've been going a bit mad this week. The weather has been awful, and it's times like this that I really miss having a car.

Last weekend involved 2 1st birthday parties, which were both lovely. One of our friends came round in the evening, and we played Guitar Hero. He and James then continued to get a bit drunk, and the only thing I have to prove how drunk they got, is a photograph of the TV screen whilst they were watching the Mighty Boosh...

Freyja and I have done pretty much nothing all week. We were planning to join the babycentre mummies on Wednesday at the park, but the weather failed. So we haven't done anything of interest really. The highlight of our week was my friend coming over on Friday afternoon with her daughter, so it was nice for Freyja to have a little buddy for a bit.

On friday night, I went to the cinema with my mate, to watch Salt. I wasn't holding out much help for it, but that's probably because I didn't really know much about the film. It ended up being a very enjoyable watch, and we pigged out on ice cream which is always a bonus! We're hoping this weekend is nice - we have a few bits to do in the garden, and it'd be nice to take Freyja somewhere as a family - espeically as it's Bank Holiday weekend :)

The subject this week was routines. I had heard a lot about Gina Ford and her "Contented Baby" and being the clueless mum-to-be I was, I went and bought the book. For me, it just wouldn't work. I read through the book and found it to border on the ridiculous. I know it works for some people, but it'd never work for me. So I got Freyja into my own little routine quite early on, but didn't let the routine rule us. She gets up at roughly 7am. She has breakfast straight away. At some point, depending on what we're doing that day, she'll have a nap. She'll have lunch wherever we are. She'll have her dinner at about 6ish, sometimes later. She'll follow that with a bath and milk. She'll be in bed at the latest of 8. This routine seems to fit us both. I don't stick to it religiously, because we do thinsg most days, and I won't let a routine dictate when we do things. She's only ever woken twice in the night when she was mega-young, had a 20minute feed and was asleep again. she has slept through the night since she was a few months old, eats everything she tries, and is stupidly happy, so I think whatever I'm doing works for her.

I have utmost respect for mums who stick with the Gina Ford philosphy. I really do. But personally, I don't like her methods. The problem I have with GF is although she has muchos experience when it comes to children and working with families, she doesn't have any children of her own. I'd like to see her stick with her strict regimen that she puts in her books, if she'd had children and used the methods on them. I think personally, it's pretty impossible to be that routined, but fair play to mums who have used it and it's worked. But, like others have said this week, everybody's different :)

I'll be doing a post on Monday next week, as Liz has asked to swap. So it'll be me starting off the new subject. Not sure what it is yet as it's not my subject, but I'll find out before Monday I'm sure :)

Hope you have a lovely week ladies xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment