Saturday 25 September 2010

Was I Being Punished?

I was really looking forward to James and Freyja coming back home on Tuesday. I had been keeping myself busy all weekend to try and take my mind off them not being here - I worked Saturday (which was insane) and on Sunday, me and a few friends went to the Tenth Hole. For the first time, we treated ourselves to High Tea - OH MY GOD - it's £25, but between us, it was about £8 each, but what you get is phenomenal - 6 slices of cake, a plate of sarnies, scones, tea and coffee - I couldn't finish it. I felt like royalty - everyone kept staring at us as though we were sophisticated, when in actual fact, we are the opposite - a bunch of cake crazed maniacs who wanted a treat. On Monday, I did loads of housework, then went out for some drinks of the evening - I thought I may as well take advantage of the not-having-to-be-up-in-the-morning factor. James & Freyja were due to land at about 2:30 the next afternoon, so my plan was to drive over to Southampton to pick them up, spend the afternoon with them, and then go to work in the evening. In actual fact, the plane was delayed for 3 and a half hours, so they landed at 6ish, and I had to just drop them off and whizz off to work. So I didn't get to see them at all :(

The next morning was hideous. Freyja screamed for half an hour after James went to work. She cried, didn't want to be with me, didn't want hugs, didn't want to play. It was horrible. I took her to Krazy Kaves which she enjoyed loads, brought her home, and she cried some more. She wasn't too bad after a nap, but wasn't the same until James came home. She flung herself at him as he came through the door as though her life had briefly ended when he wasn't there. The way she was being with me, it was almost as though she was punishing me for leaving her for 4 days. Alongside that, she was also going through a bit of separation anxiety with James. What a way to make me feel like shite?! I don't see my baby girl for 4 days and she cries at me. Not the nicest feeling.

As the week went on, she got better, and now she's pretty much back to normal. She still has a wobbler when one of us goes through the door, but she gets over it quick enough. We can't help having to go to work.

Onto this weeks topic of food. We try to give Freyja a home cooked meal everyday - it doesn't always happen though. We do have fish, veg and chicken fingers in the freezer, as well as a supply of meatballs. We also have tins of baked beans and things like that in the cupboard. Most of the time, if we have a home-cooked meal, we will stick some in the fridge - enough for Freyja to have for the next 2 days. She easts everything we make. She's the easiest kid to feed I've ever met - ever since she was 5 months old, she's eaten everything. She loves fish, meat, veg, salad, fruit, pasta, cous cous - she's a dream to feed. When she was younger, I used to puree things and freeze them in ice cube trays, then once frozen, put the cubes in a freezer bag and label it. Then each meal time, I would grab a few cubes of whatever I had, and heat them up. The other thing I couldn't do without were frozen vegetables - I have a stock of broccoli, spinach and peas in the freezer for when we don't have a homecooked meal for her. I'm hoping she doesn't go through a faddy stage (although she probably will) - she's been a dream for the last year!

Have a good week xxx

1 comment:

  1. Awww all kids go through a bit of separation anxiety at some point and Freyjas at the prime age for it so I'm sure you havent done anything to offend her! So horrible though when you're used to being able to comfort them.

    I have a feeling Lucies going to be pretty easy to wean too, and I'm literally about 2 weeks way from having to start! Oooer! x

    ReplyDelete