Friday 12 November 2010

The one without a title ...

Have you noticed how everyone is amazed by the fact that it is November and it is cold?

I’ve fallen into that trap myself – complaining on the playground about the wind, the rain … I wouldn’t complain (honestly) except that after the howling gales last night I awoke this morning to find half the contents of the recycling bin around the back garden. Picking up damp and dirty newspaper, envelopes and assorted plastic is not a way to start the day.

On a good note, my son was NINE this week. I cannot believe that my baby boy (born weighing just 5lbs 3oz) is now a nine-year-old boy.

I don’t know about you, but I usually spend the actual day of my children’s birthdays going through what I was doing on the day of their birth. Both were born first thing in the morning – and I had to have caesareans, so there is no memory of agonising labour pains – so I have the whole day to remember, hour by hour, of welcoming them into the world.

I love doing it, but I do wonder how much I forget each year!

This year’s toy a la mode is Lego Wars Halo Wars. The lounge is awash with bits of Lego and I daren’t get the vacuum cleaner out until all pieces have been removed. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

His party was a lot of fun last Saturday. He went to a laser tag place and we watched a small TV screen as he and his friend skulked SAS-like in the dark, zapping each other. Unfortunately, two of the dads went in and won each game! Their scores were officially declared null and void …. Bloomin’ competitive dads.

What really made me hoot was watching my daughter run through the chamber. She was wearing a bat-wing t-shirt and for some reason, as she ran around with laser gun in hand, she reminded me of Princess Leia.

Now his birthday is over (and my brother’s, which is the day after), I just have my dad’s and nephew’s to deal with. Then I can start to think about Christmas …

No comments:

Post a Comment