Sunday 14 November 2010

Lest we Forget


Lest We Forget  14 -11-10


Firstly I would like to start today’s post by remembering all those who have fallen in battle, for giving me a life for which I can enjoy with my friends and family.  I will never forget.


And so it is timely that life has been put into perspective again.
After a very eventful night / early hours of Tuesday morning can I please bring your attention to CROUP, as a new mummy I had heard about it but that was as far as it went, until my daughter woke us with her rasps for breathe over the baby monitor.  I would like to praise the quick response of NHS Direct, as well as the paramedic and ambulance crew that came to our aid and took myself and my daughter to A&E.  It was a frightful experience, but she recovered quite quickly, and reading the leaflet on CROUP which I was sent home with.  I would like to remind mums that as winter is upon us to make sure you have read up about the symptoms of Croup and not to scare you but that it can be fatal. For more information go to http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
CROUP [Laryngotracheitis] is a viral illness that affects the larynx [voice box] as well as the airways to the trachea [lungs] and it is more likely to occur in the winter months.  Croup usually affects children aged between six months to five years. 
My daughter’s symptoms included a temperature of 40o C, a very loud rasping noise as well as a runny nose, other symptoms can include a ‘seal-like’ barking cough.  The terrible rasping noise is known as an inspiratory stridor and was very distressing to hear, particularly as she was sleeping, we have been told that it usually tends to be worse at night. 
The ambulance crew and paramedic were fantastic and administered drugs in the form of a nebulizer which at the time didn’t seem to make much difference and because of her high temperature they decided it was best to take her to hospital.  The paediatrician diagnosed Croup and what with the combination of more nebulizer drugs and good ole’ well known paracetamol liquid  her temperature was back to normal within 3 hours and instead I had a hyperactive child running around A&E in her underwear which was a wonderful sight to see.
The week then continued with a mixture of slow, quick, quick slow events - dropping son off at Nursery, bless him he looked so beautiful waving to me and blowing me kisses through the window and having cuddles and rest time with daughter whilst she recovered.
And whilst I was putting the final bits together for this post I looked up and thought this is what family life is all about on a lazy Sunday, husband was DIYing in the shed and making things – what an achievement – kids playing nicely together after a brisk walk over the fields with Poppy Dog and all her friends [8 dogs turned up today] and mummyrella sitting at her kitchen table surrounded by DIY, toys, washing up, whilst busily concentrating on her blogging!
And now after a wonderful Roast Dinner kids in bed, husband chilling with a cup of tea I can put the final sentence together and wish everyone a happy week x

No comments:

Post a Comment